Friday, October 7, 2011

Reflections

I really enjoyed the summer institute through the AHF grant.  Anthony Fitzpatrick reviewed some activities such as "white out," "clues," and "spec."  I really enjoyed the primary sources on slavery and how it could be incorporated into a class learning experience.
 
Dennis Denenberg was amazingly entertaining and knowledgeable on the topic of incorporating heroes into history lessons.  From puppets to bookmarks, I found his ideas for projects incredible.  Inspired by his speaking, I have already made historical hero puppets to tie in with the curriculum. 

Fran Macko's reminded me that using picture books as a means of teaching children about history is very appropriate and enjoyable.  All too often, I think teachers feel tied to textbook learning. I also like how she incorporated artistic perspective into the lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment